Do you run a business in Melbourne? Maybe you’re an OHS representative or compliance manager? Do you know your obligations regarding First aid training and first aid officers?
The Victorian Code of Practice 2008 clearly outlines these obligations but the key points are:
- Compliance is achieved by having 1 first aid officer per 50 people in a low risk workplace and 2 per 25 people in a high risk workplace.
- The minimum acceptable level of first aid training is formally known as Level 2 first aid (Equivalent HLTAID003 Provide First Aid)
- Employers need to ensure that the qualifications of first aid officers are current.
There are a couple of things worth noting:
- Although the requirement is for only 1 first aid officer for low risk work places we always recommend a minimum of 2 on each shift as this would cover the issue of a first aid officer being on leave or being the person in need of assistance.
- HLTAID003 is valid for 3 years. Currency of this first aid qualification is maintained only when the CPR (HLTAID001) is completed annually.
Depending on your organisation type you may also be required to complete anaphylaxis training, asthma training and the new qualification for carers HLTAID004.
Medical Solution, under the auspices of Safety Training Solution RTO #40590, provide quality CPR and first aid training on site or at a public location near you. Did you know that you could support The Salvation Army when you do a first aid training course with Medical Solution? Read more about supporting a worthy cause just by using Medical Solution as your First Aid Training provider here.